'Families First' is a Welsh Government programme designed to improve outcomes for children, young people and families. It emphasises prevention and early intervention for families particularly those living in poverty.
Supporting the family, often involves many different teams and services. We want to ensure that these services work well together so that these families are supported.
In Newport the Families First strands include:
- Children & Young People Skills
- Family Skills
- Family Wellbeing
- Confident & Nurturing Families
- Children with Additional Needs
- Prevention Team TAF Newport
The Children & Young People Skills strand aims include:
- Support young people, aged 16 – 25, to remain engaged within education, training and employment
- Contribute to the attainment levels of pupils at Key Stages 2, 3 & 4
- Increase Year 11 pupils achieving Level 2 threshold (inc. English/Welsh & Maths)
- Reducing unauthorised absenteeism in mainstream education
In addition, we also aim to contribute to:
- The reduction of first time entrants to Youth Offending Teams
- Reduction of under16's conceptions through the C-Card Scheme.
What we do:
We provide flexible support packages, based on individual needs assessment. We can offer support to address the following issues:
- Risk of non-academic achievement
- Young people with sexual health concerns
- Poor or non-school attendance
- Young people not in education, training, or employment
- Young people at risk of anti-social behaviour
The project will be delivered City wide through appropriate venues, including:
- Community settings
- Secondary schools
- Coleg Gwent- Newport Campus
- The Information Shop
Referrals can be made by any service or by the individual themselves.
- Tel: 01633 235238
- By post: Newport Youth Service, Malpas Court, Oliphant Circle, Malpas, Newport, NP20 6AD
Click here to download Families First leaflet456.05 KB